With unemployment soaring about 9.2 percent and an average of ten plus applicants for every job opening, employers are using phone conversations as a way of quickly, cheaply screening out tool for candidates.
Here are some suggestions to master your phone interview:
- Be enthusiastic.
- Use a land line, disable call waiting and be aware of your surroundings. Interruptions lead to stress and therefore poor impressions.
- Have a list of well-thought-out questions prepared.
- Never interrupt.
- Avoid negative words.
- Don’t forget to close. Be ready with a 30-second summary of why you’re right for this job, using an example or two from your work history.
- Ask about next steps.
- Say thanks. Follow up with an e-mail or a handwritten note.
- Dress for the part. Of course the interviewer can’t see you, but “you won’t feel, or sound, as businesslike in your pajamas.
- Avoid saying “um” or “ah” they lead to the impression of unintelligence.
- Take notes. Jot down topics and questions that seem to be of particular interest to the person interviewing you, so you can touch on these when you send your thank-you.
These tips on phone interviewing skills were brought to you by PAG Careers:
Penske Automotive Group has a variety of positions and career paths nationwide. In addition to the employee benefit programs offered by our company, Penske Automotive Group consists of a diverse group of 170 dealerships and franchises operating throughout 17 states where you can begin an exciting career. We combine this scale with a culture of integrity and customer satisfaction to create the most outstanding benefit of all – the opportunity to grow.
PAG benefits include programs to ensure the well-being of you and your family, such as, Medical and Dental coverage (including Vision and RX), Life Insurance, 401(k) with Company Match, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program and generous Paid Time Off Policies.
Visit our websites to learn more about us:
We invite you to begin the employment process by visiting: