Almost every driver at one time or another will experience a chip or cracked windshield. Depending on its location and severity, this damage may require a simple windshield chip repair or a more comprehensive windshield replacement.
Here are a few tips for ensuring your safety and your vehicle’s functionality.
- Try to get windshield repaired at your local Penske Automotive Group dealership as soon as possible. If you have to use your car for a few days with the damage present make sure your view isn’t obstructed.
- Measure the crack or chip. (The Penske Service Center recommends- if the crack is less than 12 inches long and a chip is smaller than a walnut a simple repair will suffice a windshield replacement isn’t necessary.)
- Avoid getting dirt specs in chip or crack. (Penske Automotive Group suggests using clear packing tape. Make sure it doesn’t impair your vision.)
- Mixing sunlight and windshield damage are never a good combo. If possible park in shady areas or garages until you can get windshield repaired.
- Contact you Penske Automotive Group service center.
- Don’t procrastinate. Damages to your windshield can impair vision or spread.
- Don’t drive the car if a crack is longer than 12 inches or if a chip is larger than a quarter.
- Keep vehicle temperature at a moderate level. You air conditioning or defrost on high can lead to worse damage. If you need to have the AC or defrost on high use them gradually.
- Avoid things like short stops or slamming doors which may also lead to crack spreading.
- Don’t wash your vehicle.
We hope these tips will come in handy. Stay safe.